Wednesday, July 8, 2015

The Three Trees

Sometimes, I teach Maggie's Sunday School class in her teacher's absence.  The last time I taught, rather than giving me her lesson for that week, she asked me to come up with one on my own.  I decided to read to the children The Legend of the Three Trees.  (This is the version I have, illustrated by Dahl Taylor.)  In this story, an olive tree, oak tree, and pine tree have dreams of their own, but they soon find our that God has very different plans for their lives.  It is a great story! 
To go along with the reading, I found some fun foldables at 
http://www.homeschoolshare.com/tale_of_the_three_trees.php.  I decided we could mount these foldables on a large tree shape, made of cardstock.  On the tree, we wrote the two verses we also covered in this lesson, Jeremiah 29:11 (" 'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' ") and Romans 8:28 ("And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.").
Each foldable talks about each of the trees in the story.  The first tree, the olive tree, wished to be a treasure chest.  Instead, he was made into a measly manger, but what it didn't realize was that it would hold the greatest treasure ever, the baby Jesus!  (The children filled out the answers in each foldable.)
The second tree, the oak tree, wanted to be a great ship that carried kings.  When it was made into a smelly fishing boat, it was downtrodden.  But, later, it carried the King of kings, Jesus!
The third tree, the pine tree, wanted to grow tall and point people to God.  When it was cut into lumber, it thought its dreams were over.  However, later, it was made into the cross that held Jesus, which points all people to God!  (I told you this story was amazing.)
For snack, I made three different tree cookies, to represent the three different trees in this story.
The children loved this lesson!

2 comments:

  1. Do you have a free printable for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the free printables for this at http://www.homeschoolshare.com/tale_of_the_three_trees.php! Merry Christmas!

      Delete