Wednesday, July 8, 2015

3 Kings

I haven't blogged in forever.  Forgive me.  This happens from time to time.  Let me catch you up.  In history, I left off on three kings, King Saul, King David, and King Solomon (Lessons 31-33 in Volume I of The Mystery of History).  I love this curriculum but I also love to supplement it because Maggie actually loves history whereas I did not growing up.  Once we tackled the material in the text, we did a few other fun things, too, that I thought were worth sharing.
For one, since Maggie loves mazes, I was excited to find this one of a king's crown at http://www.biblewise.com/kids/images/fun/israels-first.pdf.
We also watched this short video about King Saul on YouTube ...
... and read our Stories from the Bible: David and Goliath book by Kathryn Smith.
We also watched the "David and Goliath" episode on our Veggie Tales: Heroes of the Bible! DVD.
After that, we watched this YouTube video about David and his lyre.

Probably her favorite part of our lesson on David was making and shooting a slingshot.
I first saw this idea at
http://by-gods-grace-cat.blogspot.com/2013/10/mystery-of-history-lessons-31-33.html.  Here is our Y-shaped stick, large rubberband, and five smooth, round stones.
Ready to go!
I have to tell you, my child is a great shot!
Later, we talked again about how wise King Solomon wrote the Proverbs.  We decided to try our hand at illustrating a Proverb and chose Proverbs 18:10, "The name of the Lord is like a strong tower.  Godly people run to it and are safe" (NIV).  (We use her Kids' Study Bible, shown below, whenever we need to read Scripture.)
 Here's Mags, ready to illustrate her verse!
 It turned out so cute!
 I love the flag!
 Christians!
For our final activity for our lessons on the three kings, we used the "Three King's Cups" game idea at http://childrensbiblelessons.blogspot.com/2014/08/review-kings-in-cups.html, using labeled cups for each king, and a stack of printed questions to answer a sort of who's who for each.  Here are our cups.  (I first had her place them on the table in order of reign.)
 Then, I would call out a question (like, "Which king built a temple for the Lord?" or "Which king had a good friend named Jonathan?") and she would put the question in the right cup.
 She got them all right!
These lessons were fun and I am so grateful to God that Maggie already has so much Biblical knowledge.  

Bear with us as I add more old posts soon.  Thank you for your patience!

No comments:

Post a Comment