Friday, October 3, 2014

The Minoan Civilization

 In Lesson 12 of our The Mystery of History Volume I text, we leaned about the Minoans, the people of the first European civilization, from the island of Crete.
I supplement all of these lessons with The Usborne Encyclopedia of World History because of its great color photos and diagrams.  The Minoans are featured on pages 124-127.
(Here are some of those photos from that book about the Minoans.)
We also read about them from The Usborne Encyclopedia of Ancient Greece (pages 12-17).
The bull was an important creature in Minoan society.
Once our reading was done, we got to work on a few projects to apply our learning.  First, we colored this picture of Theseus, defeating the minotaur in the labyrinth, a Minoan legend.  I found the coloring page at http://www.mysticmills.com/ghpages/page37.pdf.
 Super, Mags!  (This will go in her Student Notebook.)
 Next, we completed the "Theseus and the Minotaur" pages out of our Usborne Sticker Dressing: Greek Myths sticker book, pages 16-17.  (Maggie just LOVES these sticker books and they have so many to choose from that we can apply to our learning!  Can you tell how much I love Usborne?!)
All done!
Here is Maggie's labyrinth!  We didn't have a minotaur, so we used a ferocious kitten in the center instead!
 Finally, we completed the activity from our text, practicing "bull leaping," a popular sport among the Minoans.  We used her beanbag chair for the "bull."
 
Last week, when we visited the Michael C. Carlos museum in Atlanta, we saw this ceramic bathtub from the late Minoan era (Mid-14th century B.C.), among other neat artifacts.  Water in Greece is precious.  Even for the elite, a bath would have been a great and occasional luxury.  It was probably discovered by Sir Arthur Evans, the British archaeologist who discovered the remains of the Minoan culture in the 1920s.  He as mentioned in our text as well as the other two books we researched today.  It is so neat that Maggie got to be so close to something from the Minoan civilization!
This large monumental jar that we also saw at the museum was from the same area.  The markings on it (spirals) indicate that it was used to store a liquid (water, wine, or olive oil.)
Thanks for checking in with us!  Next week in history, we will learn more about some very important Biblical characters -- Abraham, Jacob and Esau, and Joseph.

2 comments:

  1. What a BUSY week you have had! I am amazed at how much you can do in a day! The Lego Labyrinth was a fabulous idea.

    This brings back lots of really wonderful memories for me. I used MOH (Volumes I and II) several years ago when my boys were younger, and I learned SO MUCH myself by going through those books. They were fabulous! It looks like you are loving them too. We have also used history pockets in the past, and those blend in so nicely. (They had a Plymouth Colony one that I remember doing one year around Thanksgiving, and if memory serves me it was good for the younger years.)

    So will you alternate with MOH and FIAR??

    That museum trip was spot on....wish I lived closer to Atlanta! I have only been there once....we visited the Coca Cola museum and the aquarium. ;-)

    Looks like next week will be sweet times with Fathers of the Faith!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, my friend, Brooke! No, we do both FIAR and MOH. FIAR is what I use for literature. We are quite busy. I don't blog everything we do. But, because Maggie is my only child, I have lots of time to plan and be organized and she is easy to homeschool with no other distractions so we cover a lot.

      I am glad to know you enjoyed MOH. This is our first year using it and I have been very impressed with it.

      I know the history pockets you are referring to when you talk about the Plymouth Colony pocket! I have a few things like that on my desk, waiting to plan into her curriculum for Fall. I may just have to incorporate it.

      I have enjoyed your blog posts, too! Madeline should be posted by the end of today or tomorrow!

      Chat with you soon! :)

      Delete