Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Our second Roald Dahl read was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  After James and the Giant Peach, Maggie begged me to read it again, but after seeing that Charlie had the same author and illustrator as James, she finally decided it might be just as good and relented.  (I love this hunger she has for books!)
We also caught both movies, Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, starring Gene Wilder ...
... and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory starring Johnny Depp.
While in the midst of reading this book, my friend, Hannah, hosted our homeschooling co-op and chose to teach the kids about all things chocolate!  How fitting!  She had some cute activities planned, including a graphing activity using M&Ms that she found at
http://printables.atozteacherstuff.com/download/m-mschart.pdf.  (Here is a picture of the chart you can print from that link.)
Then, she gave each child a mini bag of M&Ms and this sheet she made to help them sort their candies by color.  So clever!
 They quickly started sorting!
 Once sorted, they were able to more easily count their M&Ms and start their bar graphs.
 Here is Maggie's bar graph, complete and ready for comparing and contrasting!
 And, of course, the best part about projects like this is eating your work!
(You can also use this book with your own activity, The M&M's Counting Book by Barbara Barbieri McGrath.)
 I was hoping to find a Wonka Bar locally to surprise Maggie with but I couldn't find one anywhere, only SweetTarts and Gobstoppers and Nerds.  I wasn't interested in spending loads of money online to have a case of them shipped to me, so I decided wrapping a Hershey bar with a Wonka wrapper would be the way to go.  Little did I know, finding one would be a feat in and of itself!  I looked high and low for a free, printable template for a Willy Wonka candy bar, and believe me, it took a LONG time.  I encountered a lot of broken links and $12 ETSY charges.  I wasn't paying that much for one print to cover a Hershey bar.  But, finally, I found a good printable at http://beyondthemarquee.com/12485/.  (Here is a printable I found of a golden ticket for inside the wrapper.)
 First, I took a regular Hershey's bar and some tape ...
 ... and taped the ends down.
 Then, I placed the golden ticket on top of it and wrapped the whole thing in foil.
 Next, I taped the foil down in the back ...
 ... so the front was clean and smooth.
 Finally, using double-sided tape, I wrapped the chocolate in the printable wrapper.  It turned out looking great!
She was so tickled!
I also found a printable wrapper for a "Fizzy Lifting Drink" at http://www.adreamcrafter.com/2013/11/fizzy-lifting-drinks-free-printable-and.html, which I decided to tape around this bottle of lemonade.
 Yum!
Our Wonka snacks!
 Opening her Wonka Bar ...
 "I found a golden ticket!"
 Delicious!
 After our snacks, we set out to make a "Person Book" about one of the characters we had read about. (The person is made using construction paper, and on the inside of that person's shirt/vest, you child can write what they want to about that character.)  She chose Willy Wonka himself.  To make your own "Person Book," here are the materials you will need.  (I thought it easier to photograph the instructions to this than write it all out.  To see the instructions larger, simply click on the picture.)
 Here is Mags, working on Willy's hat!
 Here is the outside of our completed Willy Wonka ...
... and the inside!
 Great job, Mags!
We followed this read with Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, and are now on The BFG!  More to come soon!

3 comments:

  1. You are so creative! Very neat! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many fun projects with the sweet treats :) Matilda by Roald Dahl was one of my favorites when I was about Maggie's age!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Matilda is on our list after The BFG! :)

    ReplyDelete