Friday, March 1, 2013

A Seuss EGGS-travanganza!

In celebration of Dr. Seuss's birthday tomorrow, I decided to host our seventh Book Club meeting in honor of him.  (I am slightly "ob-SEUSS-ed!"  (Yes, I really did just say that!))  I wanted to pick a Dr. Seuss book that our guests weren't very familiar with, and I decided on Scrambled Eggs Super!, one Maggie is fond of, and one that would be easy this time of year to find supplies for our craft and snack (with Easter being so close).  It's about a boy (Peter T. Hooper) who goes all over to find rare eggs from rare birds in order to make the best scrambled eggs in the world.  It's a cute read, with all of the usual Seuss-style! 
Here is the crew, ready to read! 
Only Maggie and I had read it and that made it more fun!  Once I chose Scrambled Eggs Super!, it was time to come up with a few activities.  It wasn't long before I stumbled across this great post on a really fun site: 
http://www.happybirthdayauthor.com/2012/02/happy-birthday-dr-seuss-march-2.html.  She had the awesome idea of making a "Bird-Name-Generator" to come up with birds not in the book. I knew we had to copy these great ideas for our own meeting!  First, I cut eggs out of three different colors of paper.  On the green eggs, I wrote the names of some common birds.
On the yellow eggs, I wrote some descriptions that are often used in birds' names, like breasted, bellied, winged, etc.
And, finally, on the pink eggs, I wrote silly words, some from Seuss books!  (I set aside a few blank pink eggs, too, for each child to give me another silly word to add to the mix.)
When it was time to generate our bird names, I would have each child pick out one green egg, one yellow egg, and two pink eggs, then place them in the order shown below, to come up with his/her bird's name.  Here, we have the Motta-fa-potta Thwerll-pouched Cuckoo bird!  Haha!  I love it!
Here is our "Bird Name Generator," a humongous plastic egg that I bought from Hobby Lobby!  (It's the size of my head, though I'd like to think mine's a little less egg-shaped!)  I popped the paper eggs in here, and with a couple of shakes ("scrambles"), the kids could put their hands in and pull out the name of their birds!  Fun!
Here's Liam, generating his bird name! 
My bird was the Snapple-babble Spritz-breasted Wren, which I picked ahead of time so I could prepare an example for the kids. 
Our birds would be going on these "Bird Identification Cards" I made, that would read like an entry in an Audubon Society Field Guide, to give each child's new bird species some significance.  I made them ready to be filled in, and with a space to the left for the bird's picture, and a small space to the right for the drawing of the bird's egg.  (Scroll down to see how they look, completed.)
 They would be drawing their birds on these pieces of paper, to the left, sized to fit in the space on the cards.  The white paper egg is for the bottom right of the cards.
 Here is our table set up, ready for kids!  :)
 Our table runner was some Easter grass with differently-sized eggs in it.  The kids would soon find out that the larger eggs held feathers, foam stickers, and sticky sequins for decorating their birds and plastic eggs!  (The basket of eggs in the center is part of our "Scrambled Eggs" game, detailed below.)
Once our bird names were picked, it was time to make our birds. 
 Leah's!  :)
 Once they were drawn, the kids had fun picking out feathers to add!
Once our birds were named and created, it was time to also create their eggs.  Using plastic Easter eggs, foam stickers, and gems, each child could design the egg to go with their bird.  Here is the egg of my Snapple-babble Spritz-breasted Wren.  (We will use these again later.)
Once those were made, I would have the kids make a drawing of their egg creation on paper, to match.  This paper version, and our bird drawings, would then go on our "Bird Identification Cards."
Here are the kids, starting the decorating on their eggs.
Here's Mags, quite proud of her creation! :)
Olivia's egg!
For the details on their "Bird Identification Cards," I came up with a few questions they could answer about their birds.  Using a game idea that I found at  http://simplysecondgrade.blogspot.com/search/label/Dr.%20Seuss (they used it for a math game, but I decided it would work for this), called the "Scrambled Eggs" game, I decided to put the questions on slips of paper and then put those slips in plastic Easter eggs. 
Here is one strip, folded and ready to be placed in its Easter egg.
 Once I had the eggs filled with one question in each, I placed them in this little basket until it was time for our game.  (You can see this in the center of our table in the photos above.)
To start the game, I gave each child one egg, and then explained to them that when I started the timer, they would have one minute to crack open the egg, read the question, and answer it on their bird's Identification Card.  Then, they had to fold the question back up and place it back in the egg.  When the minute was up, I told them I would yell, "SCRAMBLE!" and they would have to quickly exchange eggs with someone else.  This would continue until every child got every egg once, thus every question once, in order to completely fill out their identification cards.  This should be fun!
 "SCRAMBLE!"
 
Once all the eggs had been "scrambled," and everyone had their answers to their questions, it was time to put our identification cards together.  Here is my bird's identification card, that I made as an example for the kids. 
 I had Mags hold it to show you how large we made them.  (It is one fourth of a piece of poster board, so one piece could make four cards.)
 Everyone's turned out great!
 
Soon, it was time to learn about the new species of birds we had.  To make it fun, I had taken everyone's designed plastic egg they had created, secretly, while they were playing the "Scrambled Eggs" game, and filled them with Dr. Seuss stickers.  Then, I placed them in odd places around the living room.  Once I said "Go search for some eggs like Peter T. Hooper," the kids found one egg each (if it wasn't theirs it was ok), then came back to the coffee table to match the egg to its "Bird Identification Card."  Then, they had to present that card to the rest of the group, so everyone could learn about the new bird and its egg!  (This gave them an opportunity to share, learn, and be proud of their creations.) 
 Learning about all the new birds!
For our snack, of course, it would be obvious to serve scrambled eggs for this meeting, but 3 out of 5 kids in our Book Club don't like eggs (Maggie's not one of them), so I had to come up with something else.  I decided to make these cute little chocolate nests that I found at http://haileyshelpfulhints.blogspot.com/2012/04/sweet-sunday.html and fill them with various kinds of egg-shaped candy.  (After all, it's the best time of year to find egg-shaped candy!)  For the nests, you will need chow mein noodles or pretzel sticks (I chose the pretzels), chocolate chips, peanut butter, and wax paper.
 I doubled the recipe, using 6 cups pretzel sticks (set aside), 2 cups chocolate chips, and 1 cup peanut butter.  Melt your chocolate and peanut butter together on low heat, stirring until smooth.
 Once smooth, pour over your pretzel sticks and stir until evenly coated.
 As per the site, "On a cookie sheet covered in parchment or wax paper, take a handful of noodles/pretzels and form a nest, making an indent in the center or form in a muffin tin.  Continue doing so until all the noodles/pretzels are used."  (I warn you that this may very well be the messiest thing you ever attempt!)
 Here are 4 of my "nests," looking quite awful!  Continuing from the site, "Refrigerate the cookies to set the chocolate for 30-45 minutes before serving."
I am pleased to say that after they hardened in the refrigerator, they came out looking quite good!  Here is one of ours, waiting for some eggs!
Here are the kids, waiting for their nests to be filled! 
I poured the different candy eggs I bought into this cute, plastic egg half basket and decided to "scoop" it into the kids' nests with Maggie's little plastic frying pan (cleaned, of course!), swishing the candy around before it hit the nest, like I was scrambling it.  (I am such a cornball!)  The kids loved it!
 
For a drink to go with our snack, I used the "Goose Juice" recipe on page 17 out of this Green Eggs and Ham Cookbook by Georgeanne Brennan.  I decided to call it "Seuss's Goose Juice," instead, though, to add that extra rhyming word!
(This is a picture from Seuss's Sleep Book.)
For the same, and for one serving, you need 3 kiwis, peeled and sliced, 1/4 cup lime juice or 1 1/2 tablespoons frozen lime concentrate, 1/2 cup lime sherbet, 3 ice cubes, and 1 tablespoon whipped cream.  Put the kiwis, lime juice or concentrate, sherbet, and ice cubes in a blender and puree until smooth.  Pour into a glass and top with the whipped cream.  Yum!  (It was quite good!)
 Messy, but delicious!
 Here is Leah, showing off her beautiful bird ID card and egg!
 My Mags, with her card and egg. 
 Lucy!  :)
 Olivia, with her Identification Card and egg!
 And Liam, who had the tallest bird today!  :)
I thought I'd also share the moms' ID cards!  This one is Hannah's!
 And Anna's! 
Our crew, with ID cards in hand! 
Cheers to another successful Book Club meeting!  Happy Dr. Seuss Day, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Very kewl! :) We're having our Seuss celebration today....book & movie marathon.Perfect day for it since it's absolutely freezing outside lol. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see what you guys do! Have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete