Wednesday, February 20, 2013

World Traveler

Hello again!  Thanks, as always, for checking in!  Here is just another day ...

I know it's odd that the first picture posted today is one of Mags, blindfolded, putting toothpaste on her toothbrush.  In our Lenten devotional today, we read John 9:1-11, about how Jesus made a blind man see.  I wanted Maggie to see how difficult it might be to do simple tasks without having eyes to see, so I told her to put the toothpaste on her brush this morning, blindfolded.  When she thought she had done it correctly, we removed the blindfold for her to see that there was no paste at all on the brush!  We then thanked God for our eyes that see.
This week, we are learning about what the Earth is made up of in Science.  Today, we talked about the layers of the Earth and used these two great books in our study:  Planet Earth/Inside Out by Gail Gibbons ( I love everything Gail Gibbons!) ...
... and The Magic School Bus: Inside the Earth by Joanna Cole.  Both had great pictures and kept her interested enough to answer questions correctly throughout!
After our reading, I wanted to do something to illustrate the layers of the Earth.  I found this great idea at http://www.meetthedubiens.com/2011/04/playdoh-planet-earth-and-some-babbling.html, using play dough to make a model.  We used six colors, red, orange, yellow, black, blue, and green, as well as a plastic knife, to make our model.
 First, roll a small piece of red dough into a ball to serve as your Earth's inner core.  Then, flatten out some orange dough to carefully wrap around your red ball.  The orange will be your outer core.
 Next, do the same with your yellow dough (the "mantle"), to wrap around the orange ball.  (You will use more and more dough with each layer.)
 The black dough will be the Earth's crust.  It can be wrapped around the yellow ball.
 The last layer to be wrapped around your Earth will be the blue, for the Earth's water.  Once that is done, you can roll out some green, then cut out shapes to resemble the Earth's continents, before placing them over the blue and carefully smoothing them on. 
 Here is our Earth model, ready to be cut!
 Here's Mags, ready to split our Earth open!  :)
 Carefully make one clean cut, straight through the center.
 Tada!  Here is the center of our Earth model!  Beautiful! 
 A close-up!
 Then, we discussed each layer.
 In Social Studies this week. we are studying transportation.  To aid us, I bought this great workbook ages ago by Brighter Vision Learning Adventures, Cars and Trains, Ships and Planes.  I can honestly say that I have bought several thematic workbooks from them in the past and I have always been impressed!
 Here, Mags is grouping modes of transportation from the book, and discussing how they are alike and how they are different.
 Another worksheet we did today was one that required her to group modes of transportation in two one of three categories: air, land, and water.  (There is something about cutting and pasting that just makes a worksheet fun!  Brighter Vision has got it figured out!)
"All done, Mommy!"  :)
For our snack, I cooked up some of this "Travel Pasta" that I picked up World Market for only 48 cents a bag! 
 So cute!
I thought she would love it, and I was right!  With a little butter and Parmesan cheese, I got a, "YUMMM!"  :)
See you soon!

2 comments:

  1. Very cool as always! Where is world market? Can you email it to me? I really like that pasta. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amber! I will e-mail you the information about World Market now! :)

    ReplyDelete