Monday, November 19, 2012

Horn of Plenty

Tonight, I am responsible for making the snack for Maggie's American Heritage Girls troop meeting, and with it being the week of Thanksgiving, I (of course!) had to come up with something thematic!  (Are you at all surprised?!)  From a post on Pinterest, I had come across this cute idea for mini cornucopias made out of sugar cones, and filled with candy, and was directed to http://makelifedelicious.com/2011/11/waffle-sugar-cone-cornucopia/ for the instructions.  I thought it would be perfect for tonight! However, I found some (what I thought to be) easier instructions on Pinterest than the site offers, so I decided to show you how to make these cute snacks, a bit quicker, here.

For the same, you will need sugar cones, warm water, a microwave, a straw, assorted candies for your "bounty," saran wrap, scissors, and curling ribbon.
 First, fill a glass with your warm water and place the tip of your cone into the water for 20 seconds, as shown.  After 20 seconds, stick your cone in the microwave for 20 more seconds on high.
 Once the cone has been microwaved, immediately take it out and bend the softened tip around a clean straw, like you see below, for an additional 20-30 seconds.  
Place your cone (which now should resemble a cornucopia) onto a plate to dry and harden.
 Working away to make enough for all the girls ...
 Next, gather together an assortment of small candy.  Here, you can see Dove chocolates, M&Ms, candy corn, and candy pumpkins (bought on clearance after Halloween!).  Ideally, I would have rather bought Reese's Pieces for the Fall colors instead of M&Ms, but because many children have peanut allergies nowadays, I decided M&Ms were a safer bet.  Also, instead of mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, I grabbed the caramel Dove chocolates, wrapped in gold foil.  (If I felt like getting supremely picky, which is very much like me, I would have picked out the blue M&Ms, but what can I say?  It's been a long day.)
 I filled each cone, covered the top with a small piece of my saran wrap, and secured it with a piece of curling ribbon, curled at the ends.  I think they turned out really cute, and Maggie is excited to show them off, so I guess I didn't do too bad!  
 Cornucopias galore!
I will update this post later and post a picture of the girls, at the meeting, cracking into their cornucopias!  Thanks for checking in with us and Happy [early] Thanksgiving!  :)

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I had thought of doing these but never got to it. I think they had one with fruit too. Have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Amber! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, too! I think the fruit idea (like a dried fruit mix) would have been so much healthier for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete