Sunday, October 14, 2012

Edible Pumpkin Patch

So, here is the second dessert we made for today's church luncheon ... our "Edible Pumpkin Patch!"  In the past, I made cupcakes to look like apples using red decorating sugar, so I decided to make pumpkin cupcakes the same way, especially after I found some inexpensive orange decorating sugar in the Halloween aisles at Walmart.  (Orange is not an easy color to find, so I grabbed a few extra to keep on hand.)  I then expanded on the idea and decided to make a pumpkin patch, with both regular-sized cupcakes, and minis.  Of course, in true Rachel style, I just kept running with it.  (It's no secret that I'm a huge cornball!)  

To start, I simply used boxed cake mix to make the cupcakes themselves, then bought a can of the Duncan Hines Frosting Creations so that I could use this pumpkin spice flavor mix with it!  (It sounded better than just using red and yellow food coloring in a can of vanilla frosting.  And it tastes better, too!)
 After the cupcakes cooled, I iced them with the pumpkin spice frosting, then dipped them into a bowl full of the decorator's sugar.  Then, I got the idea to use chocolate candy corn for my pumpkins' stems, which I think worked out great.  (Just insert, pointed end first, into the tops of your cupcakes.  Instant stem!)
 Then, I took some green Laffy Taffy candies (sour apple) and shaped pumpkin leaves out of them, to stick onto the tops of my cupcakes.  (I was able to get three leaves from one candy.)
Once our cupcakes were ready, it was time to put together our pumpkin patch.  First, I used a large green platter (which I use every year for our corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick's Day), and placed the cupcakes all around it, being sure to mix up the sizes.  Then, I added the little Fall mix candy pumpkins into the cupcakes to add yet another size of the gourds.  (I also used one to hold up my wooden skewer with my patch sign.)  
Finally, using some icing mixed with a bit of Wilton green food coloring and a Ziploc sandwich bag with a piping tip on the end, we piped on some "vines" around our pumpkins.  Done!  And it looked great for our church's dessert table!  
 Here is a close-up of the sign I made on my computer.  (UUMC are our church's initials.)
See you again soon!

3 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic idea! Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even know they made chocolate candy corn. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete