Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Wreaths, wreaths, wreaths!

Today, we did all things wreaths.  We had our buddies, Leah and Lucy, over for a few hours and while they were here, we included them in our breakfast plans ('Wreath Waffles') and a craft ('Button Wreath Ornaments'), then later had some 'Bagel Wreaths' for lunch.

Here, Lucy is adding green food coloring to our waffle batter to find a good color for our 'Wreath Waffles.'
 We used a fruit roll-up to make our bow, though, unfortunately, I didn't realize this was the type of roll-up that had writing on it when I opened it.  Oh well!  
 Then, we halved maraschino cherries to serve as 'berries' for our wreath.
 Pour a ring of your green batter around the iron, being sure to keep the middle empty.
 Our wreath, out of the iron and ready for its berries.
 Lucy, my great kitchen helper today!  :)
 Ta-da!  'Wreath Waffles!'
 Later, for a craft, we made 'Button Wreath Ornaments,' inspired by a picture of a similar craft I saw in our Oriental Trading Company catalog.  For the same, I used green paper rings (just cut from green cardstock), green and red buttons, glue, scissors, and red and gold ribbon.
 First, glue green buttons all along your ring.
 After the green buttons had dried, we added a few red buttons on top for 'berries,' then made a small bow with our red ribbon, gluing that on as well.  Finally, we used the gold to make a loop hanger for our ornament.  Simple, but quite cute!
Our 'Button Wreath Ornament,' hanging from our tree!  :) 
Later, we made 'Bagel Wreaths' for lunch, as seen in the December 2011 issue of Parents magazine, page 68.  (This is a really healthy meal option that Maggie ate up quickly because it was fun!)  To start, I steamed almost 1 cup broccoli in the microwave.  
 Then, after heating my oven to 450 degrees, I lined a baking sheet with aluminum foil and halved 2 whole-wheat bagels, which would result in four wreaths.  I then divided 1/4 cup of pizza sauce among the bagel halves, spreading it evenly over each.
 Once they were covered in sauce, I added about 2 tablespoons of shredded mozzarella to each bagel half.
 I then topped them with my steamed broccoli ...
 ... and then added halves of grape tomatoes to represent the wreaths' berries.
 Finally, I took some jarred roasted red bell peppers and cut thin strips out of each before forming them into bows to be placed at the bottom of each wreath.  I then baked the wreaths for about 10 minutes before serving.
YUM!
They were a real hit!  The first thing Mags ate was the bell pepper ribbons and then she quickly gobbled up the broccoli!  What a great meal idea!  

2 comments:

  1. Very cute ideas! I am very impressed that she ate the broccoli. :)

    ReplyDelete