Saturday, December 17, 2011

Recycle that T-Shirt! Gift Idea

***WARNING TO MOM AND DAD!  GIFT SPOILER!  If you continue reading this post, you will spoil the surprise of what Maggie made you for Christmas this year!  YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!***

Ok, now that that's out of the way ... 

If you're like me, you like to have your child give homemade gifts, especially to grandparents.  Every year, I'm trying to think of new and different gift ideas Maggie can make that don't involve a picture frame or a craft store ceramic mug.  Last year, the idea we had was really cute.  We made personalized magnets in Altoids tins and labeled them, 'MAGGIE-NETS!'  They turned out great and I'm kicking myself now for never having posted that idea for you. Maybe one of these days when I have nothing else to do, I'll make an extra post to give you a tutorial on making them.  (Fat chance of me having a day with nothing to do, though!)  So, moving on, this year, I came across a great idea in the January 2012 issue of Parents magazine (page 62) ... the 'Side Dish,' or little catchall bowls made from old T-shirts!  What a great idea!  My dad is always dropping change onto his dresser and with some of Maggie's sweet little T-shirts that she's grown out of, I could surely make my mom a pretty little bowl that would remind her of Mags.  And who doesn't like the idea of reusing these days?!  We were hitting all my major criteria for a great gift craft ... functional, sentimental, clever, cute, and Earth-friendly.  And, so it began ...

Before we got to work, we set out to have a Christmas-inspired snack, a healthy 'candy cane,' in fact, thanks to a great idea from http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/2011/12/fruit-candy-canes.html.  (Her site is FULL of neat snack ideas!)  For the same, you'll need a banana and some strawberries.
 After washing your fruit, cut your strawberries into thick slices, then alternate on your plate with thick slices of banana in the shape of a candy cane.
 A hit!  And healthy, too!  :)
 And now onto the craft!  For your recycled T-shirt bowl, you'll need a cookie sheet, wax paper, a glass bowl, saran wrap, a foam brush, Mod Podge, and your old T-shirt.  (To protect my cookie sheets further, I wrapped them in foil as well.)
 First, cover your cookie sheet with wax paper.
 Next, cover your bowl in plastic wrap.
 Our bowls, wrapped and ready!
 Then, we laid out our shirts.  We chose this sweet one of Maggie's for my mom's bowl and an old Press Your Luck T-shirt with a whammy and 'Big Bucks' written on it that Al used to wear often for my dad's.  (I thought the logo appropriate for a change bowl!)
 Drape one layer of your T-shirt over your bowl and cut close to where the bowl meets your cookie sheet.
 Once I was done cutting, I had a somewhat round shape, seen below.  (To make it easier on myself, I then used this same piece as a stencil for the other pieces of fabric I needed to cut, as cutting around the bowl proved to be a bit tricky!)
 My fabric, cut to size, over my bowl.
 Ready to go!
 Next, coat your wrapped bowl with Mod Podge, using your foam brush.
It should look like this once well coated.
 Lay your T-shirt over the coated bowl, pattern side down and smooth as best you can.
 Using your foam brush, coat the T-shirt in Mod Podge as well, being sure it doesn't move around on the bowl while you're doing it.
Let it dry overnight.
Once dry, we carefully peeled them away from the bowl and smoothed their edges.
 Something to hold Dad's spare change ...
... and Mom's keys!  Very cute!  
And here are the magazine's designs to give you more ideas ...
Happy crafting!


1 comment:

  1. Love the idea.... thank you for the cut pictures with this tutorial

    ReplyDelete