Thursday, August 26, 2010

Introduction


If you are reading this, I have invited you to do the same and you love me enough to humor me through the process.

This is a blog that I am making to chronicle the evolution of Maggie's and my homeschooling journey together.  I am making this blog for several reasons.  For one, it will provide me with yet another source of documentation of this ride (in addition to the 3-inch binder where I keep her curriculum notes for the year and special projects that will fit in it).  Two, I can use this to help with my accountability.  Many homeschoolers start at Kindergarten age, and well, I don't intend to get lazy with Maggie's planned Preschool curriculum, but this will maybe ensure that I don't.  And, three, by keeping you informed of what we're up to in our homeschooling career, I am hoping to share thoughts and ideas about the same.  Please ask questions, add your suggestions and criticize those things that don't seem to be working.  Remember, it takes a village.

So, next Tuesday (August 31st) starts the beginning of our first homeschool year.  Right now, the plan is to have a four days-on, three days-off week, with each day being relaxed as far as the schedule, meaning I will always have activities on the ready when boredom strikes.  We will do instruction on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, with Mondays being our application day, since Daddy's day off is Monday and he can enjoy the field trips and experiments with us.  We feel this schedule will work best for our family and hopefully, in time, we'll see that our instincts were correct. 

Week One consists of a Neighborhood/Community study (with a focus on community workers), Colors, and the letter 'A.'  We'll be posting our various activities, with pictures, so check back when you can so that you can keep up with our progress.

So, here we go.  We're jumping in and running.  I am so excited to see where this journey will take us and we are so very fortunate to have your support along the way. 

Love you all,
Rach  :)

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference."
                     - Robert Frost

No comments:

Post a Comment